For Cinco de Mayo I made guacamole, margaritas, and vegetarian enchiladas. The guacamole and margaritas are my own recipe and the vegetarian enchiladas I got from AllRecipes. I know buying the bottle of pre-made margarita mix is tempting, but making them with fresh limes is SO delicious and you cut out a lot of the sugar!
Fresh Lime Margaritas
2 Servings
Prep Time: 5 min
Ingredients
3 - 2 oz. shots tequila (I use silver)
1 generous splash Orange Liquor
3 Limes
2 tablespoons Agave Nectar
Ice
Coarse Salt (optional)
Directions
Put the ice in a drink mixer and add tequila, orange liquor, lime juice from the limes, and agave nectar. Shake until mixed well. Take two plates, put some tequila on one and salt one the other. Dip the rim of your glass in the tequila and then the salt. Poor margarita in the glass and enjoy!
Modifications
You can always add more or less agave nectar in the margaritas, depending on how sweet you like them. I really like agave nectar, it's like honey only thinner and not as sweet. But, you can substitute it with honey or simple syrup.
Guacamole
1 small bowl full
Prep Time: 15 min
Ingredients
2 Ripe Avocados
1 Lime
1 Garlic Clove
1 Jalepeno
1/2 Medium Yellow Onion
1 Small Handful of Fresh Cilantro
Salt and Pepper
Directions
Cut up the avocados by halving them, taking out the seeds (reserve one*), and cutting the flesh horizontally and vertically and taking a spoon and spooning it out into a food processor or a medium bowl. Dice the onion, garlic, jalepeno and cilantro put it in the bowl with the avocados, juice the lime on top of the ingredients in the bowl. Pulse in the food processor until the mixture is smooth. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking.
Modifications
You definitely do not need a food processor to make guacamole, I just find it to be a lot easier. If you don't have one or prefer chunky guacamole, just be sure to dice the onion and jalepeno really small. My recipe makes a decently spicy guacamole so if you don't like that, take out the ribs and seeds of the jalepeno or omit it altogether. Sometimes I like to dice up a roma tomato and throw it in too, after the guacamole has been mixed with the food processor.
My favorite chips to dip in the guac are Garden of Eatin' Blue Corn Tortilla Chips.
*A little tip I learned from someone awhile ago, put one of the avocado seeds in the guacamole, it keeps it from going brown as fast. I thought this person was crazy but it totally works!
Vegetarian Enchiladas
8 Servings
Prep Time: 40 min Cook Time: 30 min Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
Ingredients
Nutritional Information
1 Serving
Calories - 307
Total Fat - 6.38g
Carbohydrates - 49.71g
Protein - 12.94g
My Modifications
I cut the recipe in half to make 4 enchiladas rather than 8. I used regular cheddar cheese since that's all I had. I topped it with olives, non-fat sour cream and some of my guacamole. Some green onions on top would go well too. I don't use minute rice, so if you use regular brown rice, it takes about 45 minutes to cook, this recipe doesn't figure in that time. If you want it to be more healthy, you can use whole wheat tortillas instead of regular flour tortillas, I did that the first time I made these and it turned out well. I also added some corn to the bean/rice/tomato mixture and that was yummy as well!
No comments:
Post a Comment